Saturday, 21 June 2014

INTRODUCTION


Welcome to my blog. It spawned from my researches into the location of Furth compleations (as summarised in: FINAL FURTHS - AN OVERVIEW, published in the 2013 Scottish Mountaineering Club Journal, pp.609-610).

Hopefully, dear reader, I can share with you a potpourri of eveything Furth, from the earliest hill list (prescribed by James Parker) to accounts of traverses. But let it be said here that the term 'Munro' is expunged from my blogs. Eric Maxwell, founder of the Munroist list (now maintained by the SMC), coined the phrase 'Furth of Scotland'. Indeed, he stated in the 1960 Grampian Club Bulletin: "It seems clear that, as from the start, "Munro" should be applied only to the separate mountains of 3,000 feet or over in Scotland, and not used for subsidiary tops or for heights furth of Scotland ..."

As part of my ongoing research, I'm always pleased to learn the name and date of Last Furths - from both Munroists and non-Munroists. Please email details to me at: moelfamau555@gmail.com

Simon Glover
Wirral

No comments:

Post a Comment